2 Aug 2011

My latest charity shop find.

I've been on the look out for ideas for storage space in our living room. We have very little cupboard space in the whole of the house, and though I hate to admit it, I'm a bit of a magpie for collecting and keeping things, so wanted to put some kind of shelves or cupboards in the living room to store all my magazines books and bits and pieces.
Having flicked through my pile of books and magazines for some inspiration, I came across a couple of looks and ideas that I thought might work, some units from an IKEA catalog (picture 2) and some units seen in the Book Decorate by Holly Becker. (pictures 1&3) a book that I spend many a happy time flicking through for inspiration.
With these ideas in mind I headed out to our local B&Q store to check out if I could get something similar to the IKEA units, (the nearest IKEA is in France so B&Q had to do) thinking I could use slim white glossy kitchen wall units but at floor level, then having checked them out, I headed out to my favourite charity shop on the Island, the Hospice, not a week goes by where we don't pop in to either donate or buy.

Image 2 Ikea, 1&3 Decorate by Holly Becker

and there I found these units below.  As soon as I spotted them I thought of those shelves in picture 1 above,  and that was it, decision made!  I bought two of them for £35.00.  Now I need to decide if I should paint them or leave them, I'm thinking paint them white to blend into the wall a little,  but I'll live with them a while before deciding. 


In the mean time I'm enjoying filling them up with all by bits and bobs.

Oh, and if you read this post and are wondering about the red sofa's just going out of shot in the pictures, I can tell you that I had a couple of  very disappointing days where I thought I had scored two perfect white  sofa's for my new look living room, from the same charity shop,  only to have them delivered and for them NOT even to make it through the door!  I could of sworn that they where alot smaller then the current red sofas.....which just goes to show that colour can be very deceptive, and you should always carry a tape measure with you.....and know before hand if something will even make it thorough the door and round the stair well.  I'm still ever so slightly peeved about the whole sofa saga, but the shelves kind of make up for it.  Lesson learned though.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to have your comments, come join the conversation!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.