7 Oct 2009

Winning dish of The Great British Menu.





There's a bit of a culinary stir going on around this little Island of Jersey of late, and its all to do with Shaun Rankins winning Treacle Tart. Jersey Chef, Shaun Rankin who is head chef at jerseys Bohemia Bar and Restaurant, recently appeared on the BBC2s programme, The Great British Menu and went on to win with his Treacle tart for the south west. Its now being produced by local patisserie Gaudins and is available island wide, and Mr Rankin has been out and about promoting it. (I had intended to get a shot of him doing a food demo at one of the supper markets but missed it..... caught up at the next one, and then chickened out)
Anyways, I thought I better give it a little taste to see what all the fuss was about, so at the rick of my waist line I bought a packet of the said little tart and went about my research.....that sounds so funny, I just got an image in my head of myself in a white jacket specs and a clip board...(giggle giggle giggle) OK back to the tart, first impressions, as you slide it out of the box....well its not the best looking cake I have ever seen if I am really honest, but the Prof is in the pudding as they say, so first bite, and well its...umm...you must remember I'm no food critic just you average housewife....so, first bite.... hang on need another bite to decide here.....pastry is quite crunchy....the filling it soft and sweet, but not sickly..... I could eat another slice... and the verdict? on the whole a nice Treacle Tart really... I wonder what it would be like warm....oops will have to get another one for that part of my research.....
You can have a go at making it your self if you are unable to get your hands on one, just follow the recipe here and do let me know what you think.
Mr Rankin on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to have your comments, come join the conversation!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.