24 Aug 2009

Upholstery inspiration.

Making it Lovely

This week I have been showing more than a passing interest in upholstered chairs, as you may recall , I intend to start an upholstery course in September at my local College. the lovely orange chair caught my eye over at www.makingitlovely.com and the other one I think I spotted on Apartment Therapy.
The chair below is the one I will be working on, and I pulled it out of the attic over the weekend in preparation of my fast approaching course start date. Its in a real sorry state, and I'm not sure what is going on with the underside, but it looks like its been shot with a shot gun three times! Nothing to do with my family, it was in the house when my parents moved in. Its also been attacked by woodworm at some point in its life, and I'm wondering if when I repaint it, the holes should be filled in, or if I should keep them as a celebration of its life or something like that.

I'm thinking of painting it a black, or may be a charcoal colour, and a bright vibrant colour on the seat.



Whats your view on woodworm holes, fill them in or keep them as part of the history of the chair.
By the way, is when you are reading this blog post and you spot that the chair in question is a really valuable antique worth thousands of pounds, do stop me before I paint it and render it totally worthless wont you! ( who am I kidding, chance would be a fine thing)

4 comments

  1. Ooh, I love it! I think it would look fab in black, with a vibrant fabric on the seat. And I'd definitely keep the worm wood holes - adds character!

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't paint and leave wood worm! ( don't tell my mum or she will come around and burn it!)
    Strip it down with nitromors and wire wool the wax it with a wax that goes hard! (can't remember the name but have some at work if you need to know!) rebuil the seat using traditional methods its not difficults and cover with any type of sturdy fabric as this easy to change if it does not blend in to the room deco! hope this helps!

    jayne sewefficient

    ReplyDelete
  3. don't paint and leave wood worm! ( don't tell my mum or she will come around and burn it!)
    Strip it down with nitromors and wire wool the wax it with a wax that goes hard! (can't remember the name but have some at work if you need to know!) rebuil the seat using traditional methods its not difficults and cover with any type of sturdy fabric as this easy to change if it does not blend in to the room deco! hope this helps!

    jayne sewefficient

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bright vibrant colours are definitely the way forward as we're entering the winter months, a beautifully restored chair can add the perfect finishing touch to a room, good luck with your project.

    ReplyDelete

Love to have your comments, come join the conversation!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Latest Instagrams

© This Home Sweet Home. Design by Fearne.