29 Dec 2008

Cold weather and comfort food.

The temperature has dropped outside, my washing froze on the line, and my stomach is crying out for comfort food. Its time for soups and stews with crusty bread, and home made scones. There is nothing like good old traditional food to warm you up when its cold. Making scones always reminds me of baking with my Mum on a Sunday afternoon when I was small, roast chicken at lunch, then chicken sandwich's in the evening and freshly baked scones jam and cream . Yum. So this afternoon out came the scales and the cook book with my favourite scone recipe, and strawberry jam.

Here's my scone recipe
  • 200g/8oz self-raising flour
  • 50g/2oz butter
  • 23g/1oz sugar
  • 1 egg
  • pinch of salt
  • milk 4 table spoons of milk.
Sift the flour into a bowl, add salt
Rug in butter to make bread crumbs
Add sugar, mix
Make a well in the mixture and add egg, and and milk.
Bring this together to form a dough.
Turn out onto a floured surface and gently knead until smooth..
Press out or roll out to about half inch thick.
Cut out as many scone rounds as you can get.
I can get up to 13 with small size cutter, but it depends on how big you like your scones.
Brush with a little milk.
Place on a baking tray and bake until golden, in my oven I bake at about 180c
Best eaten warm with butter jam and cream.
Hope you enjoy! here's one I ate earlier

3 comments:

  1. Sounds and looks delicious. Scones are one of my favorite carb items but I've never attempted to make them. I'm going to have to try this over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mouth is watering! I am totally gonna beg John to make momma some scones. Thanks for the recipe. Love your blog!

    xoxo,
    Sherry (& John, the chef of the family)
    www.thisyounghouse.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds and looks delicious. Scones are one of my favorite carb items but I've never attempted to make them. I'm going to have to try this over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Love to have your comments, come join the conversation!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.